14 Apr We Care About You: Our Daily Happys!
We care about you.
“Embrace uncertainty. Some of the most beautiful chapter in our lives won’t have a title until much later. Live in grace; Walk in love.”
The Development of a New Routines
It is abundantly clear that our daily routines have been significantly impacted by the onslaught of COVID-19. It has disrupted our family lives, work lives, and finances, causing stress, uncertainly, and anxiety. Regular routines create stability and aid in focus and productivity. Circumstances beyond our control are now forcing us to develop new habits, a process that uses both cognitive and emotional energy, slowing down our functioning, increasing stress, and making us less efficient. But, don’t fret, you know we are going to share some good news!
Despite these real and sometimes profound challenges, we are not only finding new ways to perform our normal daily functions, but broadening our daily experiences to include new ways of connecting, performing, and playing, providing us benefits in the long term. Our hope is that these new behaviors, new actions, become permanently engrained in our daily lives so that we continue them past the current risk point we are experiencing.
We are already seeing the positive transformational community and global impacts from the adjustments being made to comply with social distancing and shelter in place orders, such as the rise of community spirit and generosity, a closer focus on the needs of the elderly, the reduction in pollution, particularly in our largest cities, to name a few.
To drill it down more personally and perhaps more tangibly, we are sharing some of our new habits or behaviors we have developed in the past several weeks that have had a positive impact on us. We hope you find as much joy in them as we did. Here are a few:
- My family and I take a walk every afternoon, we have even gone on the days it rained! I find that it opens up communication for all of us, it brings smiles and laughter and when we come back we are always more likely to play an activity in the house together or outside and the TV stays off.
- I am remembering that I actually do like to cook! My family is actually home for dinner now to share a meal together!
- Being more mindful of daily/weekly check in’s on people. It has definitely made me feel more connected to folks when I don’t have that daily face to face time!
- I’ve recently added walking on the Greenway daily. While I enjoy the movement and fresh air, I’ve been able to watch trees bud out and I’ve noticed that strangers are becoming familiar faces- of course from 6 feet away!
- Scheduling weekly “thank you’s”. There is always a need to thank people.
- We have begun Zoom family connects! The connection allows everyone to say hello and have some family time. It bolsters all of our spirits, but also gives us the peace of mind that some of our older family members remain connected to people they love.
We would love to hear from you! What routines are you and your loved ones adding to your days to remain positive? Tag us so we can see what you are doing!